Social Media & the Bema Seat of Christ (Why I am Taking a Year-Off of Facebook & Instagram)

Social Media & the Bema Seat of Christ (Why I am Taking a Year-Off of Facebook & Instagram)

*Not the actual Bema Seat of Christ. This is a chamber in Sevilla’s Cathedral. Photo by Angel Luciano on Unsplash

*This post has been updated April 30, 2020 with my discoveries on this topic. Please see notes in red. Thanks for joining my journey!

As a Christian, I believe in the Bema seat. 

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

1 Corinthains 3:12-15 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw,  their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

When I get to heaven, I will stand before it—the Bema seat of Christ*—where all my life’s activity, the good works, lazy activity, self-centered deeds, etc., will be reviewed before me through fire. 

The things done for God’s kingdom, in His power and for His glory, will survive, and I will be rewarded (perhaps with the crown mentioned in 2 Timothy 4:8, James 1:12 & Revelation 4:11). Everything else will be burned as chaff. 

Here’s the bad news: I think 99% of the time I have spent on my phone will be burned up as chaff to my shame and sorrow. The other 1%—perhaps a post I wrote to share the gospel or a student I could only connect with via Facebook—will take its place among the crowns. 

However, I think these will be far out numbered by the times God gave me grace to invite my neighbors over for dinner. Or the hugs I gave the college girl who never showers and has few friends. Or the moments I put my phone down to really see my waitress and ask how I could pray for her. 

I don’t spout off these to brag, rather to bring perspective. 

I also wonder how many “crowns” I might gain by quitting social media, as opposed to the one or two I might gain by keeping it in order to continue in “Christian influencing.” It doesn’t take long to convince me that social media has got to go, at least for a year. 

All that said, please don’t read condemnation into this. In Christ, we are all free from that! These are my convictions and I feel compelled to share them. 

*Read about the Bema (Greek for “platform”) seat in 2 Corinthians 5:10 and 1 Corinthians 3, NOT to be confused with the Great White Throne of judgement for those who have not trusted in Jesus as Lord and Savior, found in Revelation 20:11-15.

This is Reason 2 for my year off of social media. Read about reason 1 here: Come Thou Fount of Social Media.

As I noted in this article, I want my time and energies to count for God’s kingdom. A wasted hour on social media makes my heart sink. During my break, I realized that wasting time is a heart issue, not a social media issue. 

Action Plan: repent, received grace, and press on in all areas of my life. There isn’t a quick fix, rather, I think it’s a process of staying in step with the Spirit.

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh… If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:16, 25

Find more of my conclusions and new action plans regarding social media here.

2020-05-01T00:13:19+00:00

About the Author:

“We write to taste life twice…”- Anais Nin. I believe in the power of clearly communicated truth. I write and speak to rediscover my own relationship with Jesus and to spark a bit of enthusiasm in others for their own journey with Jesus. Thanks for dropping by and picking up some renewed excitement for yourself!

Leave A Comment