I am a believer in claiming intentions: choosing a word or perspective to live by throughout the year.
For 2019, my intention is to see.
Both literally and figuratively, I am extremely near-sighted. I claim to be kingdom-minded, but I can’t see passed the end of my own “knows” most days (see what I did there?). This year, I have asked God to perform corrective surgery on my spiritual eyes. I want to see what God is up to in every little thing. I am ready to gather the big picture in my sights.
For I am about to do something new.
See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.
One fun way I was able to physically actualize my word of the year is through physical corrective eye surgery. (Read my hilarious and slightly over-exaggerated account of my LASIK experience here.)
A couple weeks after surgery revealed that I now have 20/10 vision (my eye doctor informed me that 20/20 is legal to drive, 20/15 is what you get with a good prescription glasses, 20/10 is unreal, so I am feeling on top of the world).
Every day I wake up and I see! I don’t have to reach for glasses or pry my eyelids open to squish in my contacts. I just see. This daily reminder has colored my prayers:
Lord, I want to see! I want your perspective. Sharpen my focus on how you are working, not how I think I need to perform. Reveal to my lazy eyes what grows Your kingdom, not what extends my little empire. Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, to see Your love for me, Your delight in me, not my short-sighted fixation on my own shortcomings. Remove this tunnel vision of self and be thou my vision, oh Lord of my heart. And thank you for being the God who sees, even when my sight fails.
How about you? How are you noticing God working in your life so far this year? Have you picked an intention or Word for 2019? If so, here are some ideas to make the most of it:
- Pick a color accompany your intention. When you see that color, it will bring your Word to mind and keep you accountable. My color is an emerald blue-grey.
- Keep record of Word Sightings: track every time you spot your WOTY in a Bible verse, song, movie quote, graffiti art, facebook post, etc. Post your Word sighting on insta or dedicate a page in your journal for tracking word sightings.
- Decide how your Word of the Year is going to work for you. Will it be a butler or a scale? A rudder or a lens?
- Choose a Bible verse as the foundation of your Word and GET THAT TRUTH IN YOUR SOUL. Write it down every where. Memorize it. Make it the background of your phone screen. Tape it to your steering wheel. Saturate your life with what God’s word says about your intention.
- Steal an idea from my sister and pick a song (or 4) about your Word.
- Set up a stunning visual to represent your word of the year. Click here for 7 awesome ideas.