Thanksgiving holiday is a great opportunity to do what the Bible tells us: to boldly practice thanksgiving, out loud around other people.
Has the Lord redeemed you? Then speak out!
Tell others he has redeemed you from your enemies.
Here are 5 ideas on how to do that this year:
- Write out your God-Story or Testimony of how you became a child of God. Post it to social media, mail it to a friend, or memorize it so you can share it over coffee with a friend.
- Share your most recent “God moments” around the Thanksgiving table. How has God wow-ed you, comforted you, or encouraged you in 2019?
- Play a gratitude game with your roommates: have everyone grab a handful of M&M’s, then list what they are grateful for based on colors. (Blue: person, Red: thing, Yellow: place, Brown: an event, Orange: something you like, Green: Something that is difficult but still good for you [or make up your own).
- Go through the ABC’s of gratitude with your kids: choose a word beginning with each letter in the alphabet to list the things you are thankful for.
- Design thankful prompt cards and scatter them around the table, or have guests draw one in the buffet line. Use prompts like:
- One scent I am grateful for and why
- One way God changed my life this year
- 3 family members who made a difference in my life
- 5 things I can hold in my hand that I am grateful for.
- One difficult thing in my life I am grateful for and why.
- Someone who taught me about gratitude is…
- If I didn’t have ___________ I would still be grateful because…
- 3 ways I have hope today are…
When in doubt, remember awkward can be awesome.
Enjoy some creativity this year and find ways to share your story of how God has changed your life! It’s the best reason we have to practice gratitude, and other’s need to hear it.
Who knows, maybe someone close to you will begin the first chapter of their very own God story this Thanksgiving!